Modern Silver Torah Crown by Ludwig Yehuda Wolpert, New York
Composed of arches alternating with twelve shaped shields featuring the symbol of each of the Tribes of Israel. The lower band pierced with Hebrew lettering from Deut. 4:44 “Vezoth HaTorah asher Sam Moshe” Set on two movable staves. Made by Ludwig Yehuda Wolpert in USA, New York, circa 1980.
Wolpert studied sculpture and metalwork at the School of Arts And Crafts in Frankfurt-am-Main. He emigrated to Palestine in 1933, where he became Professor of Metalwork at the New Bezalel School of Arts And Crafts in Jerusalem. In 1938, he earned international attention when his Bauhaus designs were exhibited at the World's Fair in the U.S. In 1956, Wolpert established the Toby Pascher Workshop at the Jewish Museum, where he remained for 25 years, teaching and designing splendid ceremonial objects.