18th Century Galician Parcel-Gilt Silver Filigree Spice Tower
Silver filigree spice tower, Galicia, Lemberg, circa 1770. Resting on four gilded ball-and-claw feet, this tall tower (13.5 inches in height), is one of a group of similarly constructed and sized silver filigree spice towers hailing from 18th century Lemberg. Instantly recognizable from this group is the obsessive use of filigree, which is found on almost every part of this tower, from the base to the elements by the finial. This dense usage of hand-spun and assembled filigree wire would have required a substantial amount of man-hours of labor.