Mid-20th Century Modern Israeli Silver Havdalah Set by Ludwig Yehuda Wolpert
Modern sterling silver Havdalah set, Ludwig Wolpert, Jerusalem, Israel, circa 1955. Comprising a Kiddush goblet, candleholder, spice tower, all pierced with Hebrew text, on circular tray. The pierced inscriptions are the Havdalah blessings for wine, spices, and fire. A similar example by Wolpert was exhibited in The Israel Museum's 2012-2013 exhibition "Forging Ahead: Wolpert and Gumbel Israeli Silversmiths for the Modern Age" and is illustrated in the accompanying catalog, p. 85.
Dimensions: candleholder 3 1/2 in. x 2 in.; spice container 5 1/2 in.x 2 3/16 in.; cup 5 9/16 in.x 2 3/4 in.; plate 8 1/16 in. diameter.
Havdalah, the service in the home at the conclusion of the Sabbat, includes blessings over wine, spices, and a candle.
Wolpert studied sculpture and metalwork at the School of Arts And Crafts in Frankfurt-am-Main. He emigrated to Palestine in 1933, where he became Professor of Metalwork at the New Bezalel School of Arts And Crafts in Jerusalem. In 1938, he earned international attention when his Bauhaus designs were exhibited at the World's Fair in the U.S. In 1956, Wolpert established the Toby Pascher Workshop at the Jewish Museum, where he remained for 25 years, teaching and designing splendid ceremonial objects.