Painted blue and white tin charity box, circa 1950.
Decorated in the front with the map of Israel with JNF insignia and above the slogan: "working for a greener Israel". Inscribed in English on the lower section of the box "Blue box" and "Jewish national fund" also inscribed in Hebrew "Keren Kayemet Le'Israel". Printed on both sides with the phone numbers of JNF branches in United Kingdom. Decorated on the back side with JNF insignia, with the slogan "working for a greener Israel" above. inscribed in English on midsection: "The Jewish nation fund has shown the world just what conservation has meant over 90 years caring for a very special land, on the lower section appears the London head office information.
The Jewish National Fund (JNF) used charity box from the early 1900s to raise money for the purchase of land for the Jewish people. Jews from around the world collected spare change in boxes like this to help build a homeland for their people. The JNF’s signature ‘Blue Box’ became a symbol of Zionism throughout Jewish communities worldwide.