Early 20th Century Rare German Tin JNF Charity Box
Rare JNF/KKL tin charity container, Germany, circa 1910.
The front is embossed with Star of David with central lion motif. Further decorated with KKL insignia in Hebrew and full name of Keren Kayemet Leyisrael on front. The back is decorated with big Star of David in the center and inscribed in Germany (translate to English) "5 pfennings a day for land in Palestina"
The Jewish National Fund (JNF) used charity box from the early 1900s to raise money for the purchase of land for the Jewish people. Jews from around the world collected spare change in boxes like this to help build a homeland for their people. The JNF’s signature ‘Blue Box’ became a symbol of Zionism throughout Jewish communities worldwide.