Early 20th Century Painted Tin Charity Box by Alfred Zaltzman, Jerusalem
Colorful Tzedaka (Jewish Charity) Box made in Jerusalem, circa 1925. Designed by the Bezalel teacher artist Alfred Zaltsman, whose name appears on the side of the box. The box was distributed to donors in Mandatory Palestine as well as in the USA and periodically people would send in the money to the Institution, which in this case was that founded by the Chief Rabbi of Palestine Rav Shmuel Salant, in the mid-1800s. The name of the charity was called United Charity Institutions which was an amalgamation of several charities in Jerusalem, (Bikur Holim Hospital & Yeshivat Eitz Chayyim), whose funds were distributed by this major charitable organization.