Early 20th Century English Fabric and Paper JNF Charity Box
"Fill the Brick", a Jewish National Fund pocket donation box, England, circa 1920. Collapsable pocket donation box made of cloth, designed as a brick, for collecting donations for buying land and building houses in Palestine. On the front of the box is a leaf depicting a map of Mandatory Palestine with the inscription "Buy Land for Houses. Fill the brick and buy land for its foundation" beside it. On the back of the box is a leaf with dotted lines for adding the name and address of the owner, a call to donate for the building of houses "to house the people who fled from exile", a slogan that explains that "Your 10/6 will buy 50 sq. Yds. of land" and the address of the offices of the Jewish National Fund in London.
The Jewish National Fund (JNF) used charity box from the early 1900s to raise money for the purchase of land for the Jewish people. Jews from around the world collected spare change in boxes like this to help build a homeland for their people. The JNF’s signature ‘Blue Box’ became a symbol of Zionism throughout Jewish communities worldwide.