Brass Hanukkah Lamp, Salonika, Greece, 19th century. Openwork backplate with scrolled branches; three stylized flowers support central triangular cartouche bearing Hebrew inscription “For the commandment is a lamp; the teaching is a light” (Proverbs 6:23). Above, a vase-form with trefoil suspension ring and further Hebrew inscription indicating the owner of this lamp: “Eliyahu, son of Khaliman Piru.” Fronted by row of eight oil fonts attached over drip-pan. Removable servant light on left and tubular candle holder on right. Other examples of this lamp are found in the collections of the Israel Museum and the Jewish Museum of New York.
Literature: M. Narkiss, The Chanukkah Lamp, Jerusalem, 1939. pl. XIV, nr. 40 (illustrated). Chaya Benjamin, the Stieglitz collection, masterpieces of Jewish Art, the Israel Museum Jerusalem, 1987, p. 216 nr. 160. (Illustrated).
Provenance: Michael and Judy Steinhardt collection (Steinhardt inventory marking on reverse).