19th Century Hungarian Synagogue Iron Charity Container
Large handmade iron charity container, Hungary, circa 1850.
The iron tzedakah box was installed within the wall at the Hungarian Synagogue.
On the front two metal plaques inscribed in Hebrew "Chevrah Kadisah" (burial society) and Gemilat Chasadim (acts of kindness). The top with a slot for inserting the money and the back with a hinged door for withdrawing the money. The corners are constructed with hand riveted metal strips.
Marked on the door N.Y MJS for Michael and Judy Steinhardt.