18th Century German Silver Hanukkah Lamp Menorah by Rötger 'Rudiger' Herfurth
Decorated with Rococo cartouche enclosing a Menorah, the center tooled in a checker pattern by crowned double-headed eagle, supported by four rampant lions, has servant light. Made in Frankfurt, Germany, between 1748-76, marked on backplate and cover with maker's mark and city mark. Rötger (Rudiger) Herfurth was born in 1722, became master in 1748 and died in 1776. He specialized in Judaica and produced many Kiddush Cups, and is noted for Hanukkah Lamps with distinctive Rococo back plates and lion rampant supports. See Wolfgang Scheffler, Goldschmiede Hessens, no. 444 pp. 296-97.
literature: similar example is in the Jewish Museum New York, see Susan Braunstein, Five Centuries of Hanukkah lamps from the Jewish Museum, p. 235, no. 157.